Berlin Motor Show

Berlin Motor Show

Exhibition hall, 1926

Status
Inactive

Genre
Motor show

Venue
Messe Berlin

Location(s)
Berlin

Country
Germany

Inaugurated
1897-1939 (Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung)
1978–2000 (Autos, Avus, Attrkationen)

Most recent
2000 (2002 planned, but cancelled)

Website

www.aaa-berlin.de

The Berlin Motor Show originally started in 1897 in the German capital Berlin as the home of the International Motor Show (Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung, IAA) and ran until 1939. From 1951 the IAA eventually became established in Frankfurt.
A new bi-annual Motor Show, called Autos, Avus, Attraktionen (AAA), was established by the Messe Berlin company in 1978. The last show was held in 2000, with the 2002 show cancelled four months prior to the expected 2002 exhibition.

Contents

1 History
2 2000
3 1998
4 1996
5 References

History[edit]
On 30 September 1897, the first IAA was held by the Mitteleuropäischer Motorwagenverein (“Central European Motor Vehicle Association”) at the Hotel Bristol on the Unter den Linden boulevard in Berlin. A total of eight Benz Velo, Lutzmann, Kühlstein, and Daimler motor vehicles were on display.[1] A second motor show was held in 1898 at the exhibition grounds near Lehrter Bahnhof; in 1899 more than 100 exhibitors participated in the third motor show .
As the automobile became more known and accepted, the IAA became a fixed event in Germany, with at least one held every year, usually in Berlin. In 1902 the show was held for the first time by the Association of German Automotive Industrialists (Verein Deutscher Motorfahrzeug-Industrieller) at Berlin Friedrichstraße station. The 7th exhibition in 1905 was inaugurated by Emperor Wilhelm II and until 1907, there were even two shows per year, as production had increased to an industrial level. In the next years, however, the show was suspended, due to the outbreak of World War I.

Maybach stand, 1924

With a pause after the war, the IAA was then reinstated and returned to a newly built exhibition hall in Berlin Westend in 1921, with 67 German automobile maufacturers displaying 90 vehicles under the motto “comfort”, including the Rumpler Tropfenwagen and a Bosch electric car horn. More than 600 exhibitors participated in the 15th IAA in 1923 and the next year’s show saw the premiere of economy cars like the Hanomag 2/10 PS or the Opel 4 PS (Laubfrosch). The 1927 IAA was held at Cologne (under pressure from Mayor Konrad Adenauer), followed by